Are you up to date with all of your vaccinations? There are a number of vaccines available on the NHS, the more common of which are listed below. If you are unsure whether you are eligible or would like further information please do not hesitate to call us on 0300 234 5555 or visit www.NHS.UK
Shingles vaccine - who is eligible?
- Adults 70 to 79 years old
You only need to have the shingles vaccine once and you can have it at any time of year. Whilst it is a very effective vaccine, some people can develop shingles at a later stage, but the illness will be milder. It is also fine to have the shingles vaccine if you have already had shingles. It works well in people who have had shingles before, and it will boost your immunity against further shingles attacks.
There is a new vaccine available for people who are immunosuppressed called Shingrix and this is available at all of our surgeries as a 2-dose course.
Pneumonia vaccine - who is eligible?
- Babies, as part of the national immunisation programme
- Adults aged 65 and over
- Children and adults with certain long-term health conditions, such as a serious heart or kidney condition.
The pneumonia vaccine protects against serious pneumococcal infections and encourages your body to produce antibodies against pneumococcal bacteria.
If you have a long-term health condition you may only need a single one-off vaccination or a vaccination every 5 years, depending on your underlying problem.
Flu vaccine - who is eligible?
- Adults 50 years and over
- Have certain health conditions
- Are pregnant
- Are in a long-stay residential care
- Receive a carer’s allowance, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person who may be at risk if you get sick
- Live with someone who is more likely to get infections (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis).
- Frontline health or social care workers
If you are not eligible for a free NHS vaccine you can buy one from your local pharmacist. Granta Pharmacy in Sawston have stocks of flu vaccine - to book an appointment call 01223 727530.
Covid vaccine - who is eligible?
- People aged 16 and over
- Children aged 12 to 15
- Some children aged 5 to 11
Adults have 2 vaccinations plus a booster dose. People with a severely weakened immune system are offered 3 doses plus a booster. Please note that it is never too late to start your covid vaccine course.
Visit www.nhs.uk to find out where get covid vaccinations.
Sandra East, Head of Patient Services
Granta Medical Practices, London Road, Sawston, CB22 3HU